Thursday, January 19, 2012

Just Another Pretty Picture?

Ok, it's confession time.  One silly way per month for the world to end is probably my limit.  In fact, it may be more than I can manage.  I haven't come up with even one, yet.

My first criterion is, I can't draw on any of the normal disaster-movie fodder.  And, it also has to be something that will happen fast enough to meet my Dec 21 deadline.  I still hope I'll come up with something for January.  Maybe the first will be the toughest.  (Though I suspect not.)

In the meantime, I thought I'd share another photo. 

It was taken on the east coast of Newfoundland.  This iceberg was reputed to be one of the last of the season that year.  Thanks to the assistance of some friendly locals, we found it in time to watch it break apart.  The picture was taken midway through the process. 


2 comments:

  1. Oh, wow - that's pretty cool, pun intended. Once they go, is it pretty quick?

    I'm writing a story for an anthology. It's supposed to be about monsters that come out at the "end of the world" - whatever that might be. I came up with an end of the world scenario that had to do with a galaxy storm. You know, like cloud cover but between us and the sun and made up of bitty asteroids instead of water vapor. I'm sure it doesn't have any basis in science, but it suits my story! So, maybe we get caught up in some sort of galactic storm?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is pretty quick, given the size of the thing, and it's loud. They crack. Pieces break off and change the weight distribution, making them flip up, sometimes right over. This one did it more than once.

    You're way ahead of me. Your idea got me wondering what the difference was between a comet and an asteroid, so I did a google search. Here's one site I found. Maybe it will help with your story.

    http://science.nationalgeographic.com/science/space/solar-system/asteroids-comets-article/

    ReplyDelete